(Alphabetized by Name)
- Former Belleville Philharmonic Jr. Orchestra member
- High School Band experience included: concert band, marching band, and jazz band
- Attended several music camps in IL, MO, and WI
- Former BAC (Belleville Area College) Jazz Band member
- Teaching drum lessons locally since 1987.
- Coached high school drum lines from 1993-1997.
- Orchestra pit work for area theater musicals including Washington University.
- Working professionally in many local groups covering classic and alternative rock, jazz, rockabilly, and blues since 1990.
- Notable Venues and Tours:
- 3 week tour with DOD (USO) entertaining troops in Hungary, Bosnia, and Iceland during July 1999.
- Beverly Hills, CA private party October 2006.
- Currently playing blues in venues at St. Louis Casinos, Country Clubs, and the Ritz Carlton in Clayton, MO.
- Belleville West High School
- High School Marching Maroons for 4 years
- High School Jazz Band for 3 years
- SIUE - Bachelors Degree in Jazz Performance in 2000
List of Pit Band Experience for Musicals:
- Guys and Dolls
- Pump Boys and Dinettes
- Angry Housewives
- Big River
- West Side Story
SELF EMPLOYED AS A MUSICIAN
I have freelanced in the local St. Louis bi-state area since 1988 with bands like Online, Galaxy, Park Avenue, Menagerie, Phoenix, the Alterations, the Sessions Jazz Band, The Stan Fornaszewski Orchestra, Second Nature, Chaminade Prepatory School, EDEN Church, Union Methodist Church, Incarnate Word, and many others. I have also done clinics with drummer Steve Houghton, drummer Adam Nussbaum, and jazz trumpeter Marvin Stamm (known for his one brief claim to fame for playing the trumpet on Paul McCartney's 1971 chart-topper "Uncle Abert/Admiral Halsey").
New Line Theatre
Washington Ave, St. Louis, MO
In 2003 I was hired to transcribe the original Broadway recordings of the 1950's musical “The Nervous Set” for New Line Theatre. For some reason there was a script available for the actors, but no music for the musicians to perform. In less than three months I had to transcribe the score for the conductor and musicians. I also worked with the original composer of the 1950's show via e-mail to include other selections that did not get recorded on the original Broadway album. He had sent me some other melodies and lyrics, and from these I created the score for the musicians. We added four songs that were not on the original Broadway album for the New Line Theatre’s production in 2003.
LENNY KLINGER PROMOTIONS (a.k.a. GALAXY):
1750 S. Brentwood Blvd.
St. Louis, MO
Lenny Klinger is an agent in the St. Louis area who puts together bands for all occasions including wedding ceremonies, receptions, corporate/private parties, and benefits. I freelanced for him from September 1989 until New Years Eve 1997. With his organization I had the opportunity to perform all styles of music (i.e., jazz, classical, broadway show tunes, latin music, Jewish songs, Irish songs, pop, and rock), and that has made me a well rounded musician. We would also travel outside of the St. Louis area to perform in Oklahoma, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland, Florida, Atlanta, Indiana, and basically anywhere people wanted us to perform. In January 1997, we were hired to perform in Puerto Rico for an AMWAY function for 9 days. That was one of the highlights in my career with Galaxy. I left Galaxy to work on my own musical projects and hobbies.
- Passionate and creative while instructing students in the art of Music.
- Accurate record keeper and can clearly log information leading to project completion.
- Superior product outcome is a high priority - a 'job well done' is my goal.
- Enthusiastic and thorough in presenting my objective oriented lesson plans.
- Superior product outcome is a high priority - a 'job well done' is my goal.
Professional Work Experience
Mehlville School District & St. Clair County, IL --- April 2012 - present
- Implemented lesson plans developed by the teacher - music(K-12) and Gr.1-5
- Maintained classroom management while adapting to each teacher's routine
Home Educator:St. Clair County, IL --- Sept. 2000 - May 2009
- Researched, selected curriculum; established lesson plans, daily schedules and short/long range goals; instructed various academic disciplines at Grades 4-10 level
- Served 6 years on Leadership Team of St. Clair County Christian Home Educators
- Held position of Music Coordinator for same support group (7 years): Directed Band Concerts; taught private beginner instrumental lessons; organized group field trips; provided timely, accurate communication with membership regarding upcoming music events; Sr. Band participation grew from 12 to 26... good musical growth as well; held concerts in community settings... hospital, retirement home, park, churches, etc.
- Proactive leadership in instituting and organizing the first ever Music Festival for the students
- Secured judges, determined site entry locations, recruited adequate volunteers; determined event schedule and devised Guideline Manual for Festival
Music Director(FT):First Assembly of God, Belleville, IL --- 1997-1999
- Directed Adult and Youth Choirs, handbells, instrumental ensembles for services.
- Conducted two major seasonal cantatas/dramas each year with live orchestra accompaniment.
- Served as Pianist for worship services and choral/instrumental special numbers.
- Correlated all travel arrangements and musically prepared youth choir for 2 summer tours.
Music Director/Teacher (FT):Assembly of God Church & School, Burlington, IA --- 1 year
- Pianist for services; selected worship music; directed Choir, special ensembles; directed cantatas.
- Taught K - 12 classroom music; directed Band and Chorus; mentored entries for music contests.
Music Teacher (FT):Whiteside & High Mount School, Belleville, IL --- 5 years
- Whiteside Sr. Band increased in membership from 25 - 65 while on staff.
- Maintained student grades, records and District required logging.
- Prepared coarse material, assignments and handouts for Classroom Music Gr. K-6 as well as Band & Chorus.
- Explained and demonstrated artistic techniques in preparation for concerts and contests.
- Instructed all beginner band students - can adequately demonstrate all Band instruments for beginners.
"The enthusiasm shown by the children and the careful and imaginative staging did much to add to the festive mood of the audience... ...At the end of the show many remarks were heard about how much the program was enjoyed and how much better it had been than in years past."
H M S School Board President/letter excerpt
- Bachelor of Music Education Degree,
-- Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois
- Dean's College List; Graduated with Honors: GPA=3.76 (4.0 scale)
- Member Pi Kappa Lambda -- Music Honor Society (faculty nominated)
Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Piano
- 2009 to Present: Accent Music Lessons, Instructor: Violin, Viola, Mandolin.
- 2006-2009: SWIC Music Lab Attendant and Staff Assistant.
- Summers 2007 and 2008: Assistant Violin/Music Theory Instructor, Teipen Music Studio, Clayton, Mo.
- 2011: Alton Symphony Orchestra, Viola.
- 2010: Marion Culture and Civic Center Beatle Tribute, Violin.
- 2010 to Present: Southern Illinois Symphony Orchestra, Violin and Viola.
- 2007 to Present: Belleville Philharmonic, Principal Viola.
- 2008 to 2010: BPYO Virtuosi Youth Chamber Orchestra, Viola.
- 2005 to 2010: Belleville Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, Violin and Viola.
- 2006 to Present: Philip Tinge's Philzharmonics, Violin and Viola. Venues have included Disney World and Holiday World.
- Amoretto String Quartet, Viola.
- Cahokia String Quartet, Violin and Viola.
Pit Orchestral Experience
Aida, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Producers, Mame, South Pacific, Meet Me in St. Louis, La Cage aux Folles, Redhead, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Wedding Singer, Chess, Pippin, The Wizard of Oz.
- B.A. 2010, SWIC, Music Education.
- Member Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
- SWIC Music Department Instrumentalist Award, 2008.
- SWIC Music Department Tuition Scholarship, 2007 and 2008.
Piano & Sax Instructor
Over 10 years experience learning classical music with pieces including…
- Prelude No. 1, Bach
- Polonaise in A Major, Chopin
- Moonlight Sonata, Beethoven
- Liebestraume, Liszt
- Clair de Lune, Debussy
- Rustles of Spring, Sinding
- Malaguena, Lucuona
...as well as many others.
Currently playing piano for the Westview Baptist Church Worship Band, and Fusion at Lindenwood-Belleville Student Ministry.
Graduate of Greenville College 2016 with a degree in Biology.
Previous Leadership Experience:
- Greenville College Men’s Soccer Captain 2015
- Freeburg Waves Head Swim Coach 2014-2015
Currently I am a member of the Westview Baptist Church Praise Band where I play piano and the group plays in front of 100+ every week. I am also a member of the Fusion at Lindenwood-Belleville worship band. I am transitioning from a classical piano player to being able to sight read sheet music and improvise multiple chord progressions at a time within songs.
I have 10 years of experience learning and playing classical music with pieces such as Liebestraum, Clair de Lune, Malaguena, and Moonlight Sonata, as well as many more. I love teaching and coaching. I was the Captain on the 2015 NCAA Greenville College Men’s Soccer Team, the head coach of a swim team of 100+ athletes for two years, and a soccer coach for three years. As I have moved to a new area, I am looking forward to the opportunity of reaching out to new people and helping them grow in their love and ability of music.
Piano & Vocal Instructor
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
Music has been my passion my whole life. It is something that is found in every culture, every country, and in a way… every person. My goal is not just to teach music alone, but bring about the passion and joy that music can bring when its potential is reached.
- Belleville West High school 1999-2003
- Southwestern Illinois College 2003- 2006 – Music Education and Piano Performance
- Southwestern Illinois University Edwardsville 2007-2009 Music Education
- Southwestern Illinois College 2003-2006 – Student Director and Music Department Office Director
- Southwestern Illinois College 2004-2006- Music Theory Lab Student Director
- Full Sail University 2008 -2009 Music Theory Student Teacher
- Katie Harper Wright Elementary School – Orchestrating Diversity Choral Teacher 2014-2016
- Sunshine Cultural Arts Center – Orchestrating Diversity Choral Teacher 2014-2016
- Freeburg Community Bible Church – Lead Pianist and Worship team vocalist 2013-2015
- O’Fallon First United Methodist Church – Director of Contemporary Worship 2015 – Present
Other Key Musical Experience
- Footloose the Musical- Southwestern Illinois College – Actor, Vocalist, and practice accompanist
- Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Musical) - Southwestern Illinois College - Vocalist and actor
- John Rutter’s Requiem -Carnegie Hall New York, NY- Choral Participant
- Treasure Makers Musical – Southwestern Illinois College - Composed the entire musical score
- A Charlie Brown Christmas – FCBC/O’Fallon First United Methodist Church – Accompanist/Musical Director
Musician / Songwriter / Music Instructor / Sound and Lighting Technician
Acoustic/Electric Guitar; Electric Bass, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Irish Whistle.
To teach knowledge of musical arts and techniques in all forms and musical styles. My instruction utilizes learning skills such as self-discipline and goal-setting through intellectual, physical, social development, and positive reinforcement. Most important is to have fun playing music by building self-esteem and self-confidence through correct and regular practice, performance, and listening.
I instruct using the "Method Approach". One step at a time until the task is mastered. This form of repetition and reinforcement makes learning fun and productive and not overwhelming. Through clear simple positive instruction; correct posture, technique, and breath are achieved. Development of technique, embouchure, intonation, and utilizing correct practicing techniques the student will acquire the necessary skills to master their desired instrument.
- Associates of Music --- Springfield Illinois College
Major: Music Performance --- 1986 - 1988
- Bachelor of Science --- Quincy College
Major: Music Business --- 1989 - 1992
- Associates of Applied Science --- ITT Technical Institute
Major: Electronics Technology --- 1995 - 1997
- National Vocational
Technical Honor Society --- 1997
- Independent Sound and Lighting Technician --- 1986 - Present
- Component Level Electronic Technician --- 1997 - Present
- Instrument Repair Technician --- 1992 - Present
Music Performance Experience
- Springfield College Jazz Band --- Bass/Guitar --- 1986 - 1988
- Springfield College Choir --- Vocal/Bass --- 1988 - 1989
- Quincy College Jazz Band --- Bass/Guitar --- 1989 - 1993
- Quincy College Wind Ensemble --- Flute --- 1989 - 1992
- Quincy College Choir --- Vocal/Bass --- 1989 - 1992
- Quincy College Pep Band --- Bass --- 1989 - 1992
Musical Pit Experience
- Leader of the Pack --- Guitar --- 1990 - 1991
- Jesus Christ Superstar --- Bass --- 1991 - 1992
- BIT'S and PEICES --- Bass/Guitar --- 2002 - 2004
- CODE-10 --- Guitar --- 2003 - 2005
- RUKUS --- Bass/Guitar --- 2002 - 2004
- LIT SISTER --- Guitar --- 2003 - 2005
- Louis Margaglione: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, and Conducting.
- Steve Parke: Instrumentation, Counterpoint, Chord Voicing, Commercial and Jingle Writing.
- Pauline Connor: Classical Guitar.
Currently holding several Copyrights in the Library of Congress. I continually create and produce and record all types of original music. Currently, I am working on publishing several original musical compositions.
Hannah Gillaspie started studying violin at age 6 and flute at age 8. She is now a recent graduate of Concordia University Chicago, where she played violin and flute in a variety of musical groups, including Wind Symphony, Chamber Orchestra, and Chamber groups.
Hannah was concertmistress of the Chamber Orchestra for two years and took private lessons with Elizabeth Coffman. She was also flute section leader in the University’s Wind Symphony, studying under the instruction of Cindy Fudala. With these groups, Hannah toured throughout the country and went on international tours to France and China.
Hannah frequently plays for weddings and other special events. She is currently principal second violin in the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Focused on student goals for learning. These ranged from playing instruments for fun only to building a resume for music school scholarships.
- Organized monthly recitals for parents to showcase student’s skills.
- Introduced my own curriculum and lessons to students based on goals and experience.
- 09/2014 to 05/2016 - Substitute Teacher for Orange County Schools - Orlando, FL
- Responsible for up to 30 students in a class.
- Primary duties included supervision and management of a classroom.
- 10/2001 to 03/2015 Music Teacher at George’s Music - Orlando, FL
- Built an 85 student roster primarily through referrals.
- Created lesson plans for all levels of bass and guitar students.
- Organized recitals for students and parents, monthly.
- 1993 - Musician’s Institute of Technology - Los Angeles, CA
John has been playing professionally for 20 years, and has a wide variety of performing and teaching experience. He has taught trumpet players of all ages and levels of ability. Personalizing lessons and troubleshooting problems is one of his strengths. He maintains a strong belief that the best atmosphere for learning music is one of positivity, affirmation, and FUN.
- Belleville West High School
- Eastman School of Music
- University of North Florida
- Famous Door/Bourbon St. New Orleans, LA.
- John Wehner's Dream Band
- Walt Disney World
- Magic Kingdom
- Christmas Brass
- Walt Disney World Band
- Main Street Philharmonic
- Kids of the Kingdom
- Hollywood Studios
- Hollywood Hitmen
- Candlelight Processional Orchestra/Fanfare Trumpets
- Future Corps
Has Performed With:
KC and the Sunshine Band --- Arturo Sandoval --- Kenny Rogers --- Glenn Miller Orchestra --- Diane Schuur --- Marvin Stamm --- Woody Herman Orchestra --- Bob Mintzer --- K. Starr --- Xavier Cugat Orchestra --- Tim Haggans --- Steve Lawrence --- Joe Lavano --- Tempations --- John Pizzarelli --- Cassandra Wilson --- John Abercrombie --- Louie Bellson --- Rosemary Clooney --- Tito Nieves --- Jay Black --- Diane Reeves --- Tito Puente --- Four Tops
CD Recording Credits:
"Haven't You Heard Yet?" - University of North Florida Jazz Ensemble
"Madcap" - Chuck Owen and the Jazz Surge Big Band
"Late Night" - Dan McMillion Jazz Orchestra
"You Just Made My Day" - Orlando Jazz Orchestra
"How Can I Keep From Singing" - Northland Worship Album
"Sueno Contigo" - Orquesta Tropical
"Deed I Do" - Parke Frankenfield
About Keith Mitchell
Keith Mitchell lives in Freeburg, IL with his daughter Megan, a Music Education major at Illinois State University, and his son Kyle, a Mechanical Engineering major at the University of Illinois. Keith earned his Bachelor's Degree in Music Education at the University of Illinois and his Master's Degree in Secondary Education at Olivet University.
For the past 36 years, Keith has taught Music at Freeburg High School. His duties included Band, Chorus, Music Appreciation, and Beginning Guitar. He is recently retired from that position. Keith played trombone in the St. Louis Philharmonic Orchestra for 24 years and the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra for the two years prior. He also served Illinois Music Educators as their elected Band Division Chairman; a position he held for 28 years.
As a private teacher, you can expect Keith to be very competent, positive, and encouraging with your student. He will set very high standards which are specifically geared toward your student's individual musical needs and ability levels. In return, Keith expects your student to prepare their assignments each week through regular daily practice at home.
"Great art is as irrational as great music. It is mad with its own loveliness."
~George Jean Nathan
I want to inspire new musicians to love music as much, if not more, than I love it myself. I would also like to teach my students great practice ethics so that they can reap the rewards of hard work. Hopefully, in doing so they will learn to love the process of doing something great, as well as the feeling of accomplishment as they reach each stage of their growing process.
Voice, Piano, and Flute
- Private lessons given from home from 2011-2012
- Led Children’s Choir at church from 2005-2008
- Leading worship for adult church services (as lead vocalist and pianist) from 2008-present
- Took private lessons from 1999-2008
- Played for various nursing homes and at Fairview Heights mall at Christmas time every year from 1999-2004
- currently taking lessons with Dr. Marc Schapman at SIUE 2012- present
- Madrigal Choir at SIUE 2012-present
- Concert Choir at SIUE 2012-present
- Soprano section leader for SWIC 2011-2012
- Concert Choir at SWIC from 2010-2012
- Chamber Choir at SWIC from 2010-2012
- Studied under Debra Harres at SWIC from 2010-2012
- Background vocals at church 2002-2008
- Flute Choir at SIUE 2012-present
- Wind ensemble at GCHS from 2003-2007
- Advanced band at Collinsville Christian Academy from 2001-2003
Singing before I could talk, playing piano before I could walk, and always striving to do and be better! I have found the best way to teach music is to adapt to individual student’s needs, and constantly introduce them to new music and new methods to reach their goals.
- Southwestern Illinois College: Music Education (2013-2015).
Performed with concert choir and chamber choir, was involved with theater and musicals, and performed solo vocal pieces in Honor’s Recitals (Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Spring 2015).
- University of Missouri - St. Louis: Music Education (2016-current).
Studying piano and vocal education, minor in special education. Performed Schubert’s Mass in Ab in entirety at Carnegie Hall NYC with select group of vocal students.
To create a productive and welcoming studio environment for people of all ages and levels of musical ability to learn the universal language of song!
- Classical/Choral (to include singing in multiple languages)
- Worship Leading
- Vocal Songwriting
- Musical Theater
Piano & Vocal Instructor
Styles (but not limited to): Classical, Rock, Pop, Gospel/Christian, Urban/R&B
Additional Methods: Music Theory, Improvisation, Composition/Arranging, Fake Book Reading, Complex Chords, and more!
To teach proper techniques, mechanics, and musicianship of vocal and piano performance
- Belleville Township High School East - Graduated 2000
- Southern Illinois University @ Edwardsville - 2000-2004 - Music Education
- Southwestern Illinois College - 2004-2006 - Music Education, Music Performance
MUSICAL / WORK EXPERIENCE
- Troy Assembly of God - January 2003 — November 2007 - Second Pianist
- Scott Air Force Base Chapel - October 2003 — July 2007 - Lead Musician
- Redeemer Community PCA - June 2006 — December 2006 - Music Coordinator
- Melodic Rhythms - August 2005 — October 2008 - Piano/Vocal Instructor
- Scott Air Force Base Chapel - July 2007 — October 2008 - Contemporary Music Coordinator
- Southwestern Illinois College - August 2007 - Present - Assistant Choral Director
- City Temple Assembly of God - November 2007 - Present - Music Director
- Scott Air Force Base Chapel - October 2008 — Present - Choral Director
- Accent Music Lessons - October 2008 — Present - Piano/Vocal Instructor
- City Temple KG - December 2008 — Present - Piano/Vocal Instructor
OTHER KEY MUSICAL EXPERIENCES
- Brahms Requiem Concert - Carnegie Hall, New York, NY - Participant
- Rocky Horror Picture Show - Music Director/Conductor - May 26, 2006 & April 2007
*Also includes numerous other performances, director positions, and mentorships.
My main goal is to teach not only the specifics of the student’s instrument, but also teach life applications. Music is THE universal language in which every person, regardless of native tongue, can fully understand. I want the student to be able to apply themselves to the fullest, without being forced... music is a privilege, and shouldn’t be treated as work.
Music can be a part of everyone’s life and can be used to describe every emotion, and we all have varying ways of expressing ourselves, which are called talents. My area of expertise is the piano and vocal side of the musical talent. As an instructor at Accent Music Lessons it is my job and my privilege to help my students, both young and old, discover their true talent, perfect it, and use it anyway they can, whether it be through brisk performance with the utmost confidence, or just sitting at home, with the assurance of knowing they can play that hard Beethoven piece or sing a chromatic scale without assistance.
Thank you and welcome to Accent Music Lessons!